XcelPros is seeking a Senior Data Scientist and a strong leader to join our team in a consulting role (hourly or salary). This is a position based in downtown Chicago.
XcelPros is proud to foster a high-performance culture, one that’s defined by having the best people, with the skills and determination to deliver above and beyond. We look for insightful and astute professionals who are also forward-thinking, confident, self-motivated and globally minded. Our core team consists of professionals with a wide range of skills and backgrounds.
We are currently seeking a Data Scientist with solid statistical skills to join our Advanced Products in Emerging Industries (APEI) team, as a contract consultant, at our customer’s location in Chicago.
XcelPros is a core partner with world's leading insurance company here in Chicago. You will work with a team that is constantly innovating. The position outlined herein represents an opportunity to work directly with the Engineering Head of the Innovations Department of said insurance agency. The Data Scientist would be responsible for leading a plurality of knowledge discovery endeavors, each being situated at the crossroads of the established Automotive Insurance industry and the emerging Autonomous Vehicle industry.
Visit us at https://xcelpros.com/insurance/
Rate: Negotiable per hour
Travel: If you are not from Chicago, this position will cover reasonable expenses for your weekly travel including air, hotel, taxi and meals.
Level of education: PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)
Seniority Level: Senior level
Employment Type: Contract - Hourly or Full-time
- Mix of hands-on technical expertise, with high-level leadership experience with internal engineering and analytical groups.
- This is a cross-functional position working with multiple teams to build better data products and solutions.
- Solid achievement implementing big data systems and infrastructure capable of dealing with petabytes of learner data
- Iterate and optimize AI/ML solutions for increased performance and scalability
- Aptitude for dealing with structured and unstructured data, query optimizations, and real time low latency data collection
- Expertise managing with A.I. and machine learning model processing
- Deep experience managing infrastructure, data warehousing and storage, databases and data processing
- Complex data analysis, hypothesis testing, data preparation, product prototyping and development of prognostic models for the platform based on modern statistical methods
- You will be involved in tasks around data understanding and data enablement. This includes but not limited to data experiments, and predictive and prescriptive analysis, over development of modeling algorithms and prototypes, to data integration and ETL design
- Capability to access, manage, transfer, integrate & analyze complex data sets – SQL or map-reduce techniques preferred
- Experience managing complex environments with disparate data sources and data storages…and knowing how to successfully converge this data
- An aptitude with reporting systems, including implementation of statistical and analytical tools
- Analyze and model structured data using advanced statistical methods and implement algorithms and software needed to perform analyses while preserving user anonymity Experience building recommendation engines, spam classifiers, sentiment analyzers and classifiers, context miners, and the like for unstructured and semi-structured data
- Experience with Computer vision, Image processing, Automotive sensor data processing, Hidden Markov models, Machine learning classification would be preferred is a major plus Cluster large amount of user generated content and process data in large-scale environments using Amazon EC2, Storm, Hadoop and Spark
- Perform machine learning, natural language, and statistical analysis methods, such as classification, collaborative filtering, association rules, sentiment analysis, topic modeling, time-series analysis, regression, statistical inference, and validation method
- Drive client engagements focused on Big Data and Advanced Business Analytics, in diverse domains such as product development, marketing research, public policy, insurance -life and retirement, medical sensor data, automotive, optimization, and risk management
- Communicate results and educate others through reports and presentations
- Perform explanatory data analyses, generate and test working hypotheses, prepare and analyze historical data and identify patterns
- Be part of a highly effective agile organization. Demonstrate an ability to do more with less, with a history of identifying and exploiting opportunities for efficiency improvements
- Eight years of professional experience working as a Data Scientist
- Minimum PhD degree from an accredited university in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, or related fields etc plus 4+ years experience. (strong mathematical background with ability to understand algorithms and methods from a mathematical viewpoint and an intuitive viewpoint)
- Prior experience in Insurance (Life & Retirement, Auto) industry is a major plus
- Experience in data analysis and multivariate statistics
- Experience creating and leveraging AI systems and techniques such as machine learning, NLP, Deep Learning, neural nets, knowledge induction, and/or statistical relational learning
- Experience with algorithmic optimization, data mining, and advanced statistical analysis
- Deep understanding of physics, mathematics, computer science or similar, or several years of research and application experience in Machine Learning, Deep Learning or Reinforcement Learning
- Excellent analytical skills and strong statistical knowledge, as well as interest in applying them to complex problems
- Familiarity with Python, Ruby and Scala
- Expertise in statistical programming languages such as Ruby
- Understanding of Big Data architectures and solutions such as Spark, Hadoop and/or column oriented SQL databases
- Experience with command-line scripting, data structures and algorithms and ability to work in a Linux environment, processing large amounts of data in a cloud environment is a major plus
- Web-based Application development experience utilizing Java, JEE, C#, jQuery, CoffeeScript or the like, Web Services (Axis-SOAP, REST), ASP.NET, backend proficiency - NoSQL, Hadoop, HBase, Node.js, etc
- Experience with Computer vision, Image processing, Automotive sensor data processing, Hidden Markov models, Machine learning classification would be preferred
- Strong knowledge in at least one of the following fields is a major plus: machine learning, data visualization, statistical modeling, data mining, information retrieval, location intelligence, geospatial mapping, and location-based services (GPS, GIS, GLONASS, etc.)
- Strong data extraction and processing, using MapReduce, Pig, and/or Hive preferred
- Proficiency in analysis (e.g. Ruby, SAS, Matlab) packages, programming languages (e.g. Java, Python, Ruby) as well as the ability to implement, maintain and troubleshoot big data infrastructure, such as distributed processing paradigms, stream processing and databases such as Hadoop, Storm, SQL & Solr
XcelPros is an equal opportunity employer and maintains a drug-free workplace.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle